Learn to understand the field of network security and the material for the CompTIA Security+ exam.
This ILT Series course, rated 4.9/5.0 in overall quality by ProCert Labs, will prepare students to pass the CompTIA Security+ 2008 certification exam. After taking this course, students will understand the field of network security and how it relates to other areas of information technology. This course also provides the broad-based knowledge necessary to prepare for further study in specialized security fields, or it can serve as a capstone course that gives a general introduction to the field. Comes with CertBlaster exam prep software (download).
Students taking this course should be familiar with personal computers and the use of a keyboard and mouse. f\Furthermore, this course assumes students have completed the following courses, or have the equivalent level of knowledge:
- CompTIA A+ Certification: Essentials
- CompTIA A+ Certification: Practical
- CompTIA Network + Certification
- This course is designed for students interested in Network Security and its relationship to other IT areas.
- Those working in Database Development and Administration.
- Those wishing to pursue Cisco CCNA Security Certification with little to no Network Security Experience
After completing this course, students will know how to:
- Mitigate threats to network security through core system maintenance, implement virus and anti-spyware management tools, secure Web browsers, and identify social engineering threats.
- Identify Cryptography Concepts.
- Implement Authentication Systems.
- Secure Email messages and services
- Create Security Policies to secure file and print resources
- Install, enable, and configure public key infrastructures.
- Install and Configure Security Systems including biometric systems, physical access control, as well as access to peripherals, computer components, and storage devices.
- Assess Vulnerability to security attacks.
- Configure intranet and extranet security zones and use virtualization to protect network security.
- Implement a secure wireless network.
- Create a secure remote access network using RADIUS, TACACS, LDAP, and VPNs.
- Use Auditing, Logging, and Monitoring techniques.
- Conduct security risks and vulnerability assessment using IPS, IDS, MBSA, and OVAL tools.
- Establish organizational security through organizational policies, education and training, and the proper disposal and destruction of IT equipment.
- Create a Business continuity plan that prepares the organization to deal with security threats and natural disasters.
Unit 1: Mitigating threats
Unit 2: Cryptography
- Topic A: Core system maintenance
- Topic B: Virus and spyware management
- Topic C: Browser security
- Topic D: Social engineering threats
Unit 3: Authentication systems
- Topic A: Symmetric cryptography
- Topic B: Public key cryptography
Unit 4: Messaging security
- Topic A: Authentication
- Topic B: Hashing
- Topic C: Authentication systems
Unit 5: User and role based security
- Topic A: E-mail security
- Topic B: Messaging and peer-to-peer security
Unit 6: Public key infrastructure
- Topic A: Security policies
- Topic B: Securing file and print resources
Unit 7: Access security
- Topic A: Key management and life cycle
- Topic B: Setting up a certificate server
- Topic C: Web server security with PKI
Unit 8: Ports and protocols
- Topic A: Biometric systems
- Topic B: Physical access security
- Topic C: Peripheral and component security
- Topic D: Storage device security
Unit 9: Network security
- Topic A: TCP/IP review
- Topic B: Protocol-based attacks
Unit 10: Wireless security
- Topic A: Common network devices
- Topic B: Secure network topologies
- Topic C: Browser-related network security
- Topic D: Virtualization
Unit 11: Remote access security
- Topic A: Wi-Fi network security
- Topic B: Non-PC wireless devices
Unit 12 : Auditing, logging, and monitoring
- Topic A: Remote access
- Topic B: Virtual private networks
Unit 13 : Vulnerability testing
- Topic A: System logging
- Topic B: Server monitoring
Unit 14: Organizational security
- Topic A: Risk and vulnerability assessment
- Topic B: IDS and IPS
- Topic C: Forensics
Unit 15: Business continuity
- Topic A: Organizational policies
- Topic B: Education and training
- Topic C: Disposal and destruction
Topic B: Backups
- Topic A: Redundancy planning
Appendix A: CompTIA Security+ objectives map
Appendix B: CompTIA Security+ acronyms
- Topic C: Environmental controls